Monday, April 4, 2016

My very first Mashed Potatoes

Those who know me well are familiar with the fact that I am one of the very few moms who are not kitchen goddesses. I just don't share the same passion for cooking as most of my mommy friends do (I know, I know). That doesn't mean though that I have given up the possibility of learning new dishes.

The other day, my elder son thought of having mashed potato instead of rice which was our usual staple food. I love mashed potatoes and have tasted varieties of this dish but never have gotten the courage to make one on my own. This time I decided why not give it a try. How hard can it be?

I knew we had some potatoes in stock so I googled the simplest recipe I could find (with some personal tweaks, that is) and started working on my very first mashed potatoes.

Ingredients:
5 small potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
Salt and pepper to taste
Butter
Milk

Steps:
  1. I boiled the potatoes in a small pot until they were soft. Added salt and pepper to taste.
  2. Drained water, mashed the potatoes and set them aside.
  3. Heated the same small pot, added butter then mixed and mashed the potatoes with it.
  4. Then I added milk. Just right not making it too watery nor too dry.
In less than 15 minutes, voila! A small serving of mashed potatoes was ready as part of Kelvin’s dinner.

The taste was OK with me but I had to wait for the final verdict from Kelvin. He said it tasted nice. I was happy to have gotten this right the first time.

Ira got curious and asked to taste a small portion at the tip of his spoon. He also liked it and asked if there was more. Unfortunately, I only made a small bowl for testing.

My first mashed potatoes dish was a hit! Now I'm excited to make my next batch and maybe throw in the gravy too.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your comments, as your questions, share parenting tips and tricks, a book title or two.

 

milestone moments | Desenvolvido por EMPORIUM DIGITAL